From Yakubu Uba / Maiduguri
A total of 3,900 Boko Haram terrorists have surrendered in the past few days, Governor Babagana Zulum announced on Sunday.
He said 3,000 insurgents surrendered to the Nigerian authorities and 900 Cameroon surrendered.
Zulum made the reveal on Sunday at a meeting with stakeholders, including security agencies, to deliberate on developments, 12 years after the Boko Haram uprising began.
Zulum informed the meeting that a team of security agencies and other relevant organizations had been formed to profile the insurgents transferred in line with international best practices.
He said over 200 farmers and their families who were held hostage by the insurgents surrendered.
“They (insurgents) forced such farmers to farm while they bought their produce at subsidized prices.
“There are also underage children and others who have been drafted by the insurgents,” said Zulum.
Zulum said the forum should find common ground for dealing with the situation for lasting peace in the state.
At the meeting were the theater commandant of “Operation Hadin Kai”, Maj.-Gen. Christopher Musa, members of the National Assembly from Borno, Sen. Ali Ndume and Rep. Tahir Monguno.
An insurgent victim, Alhaji Modu Gujja, who had lost his parents, wife, children and still missing relatives, attended and said he had left vengeance to God and would support any process that would bring lasting peace to Borno .
The Borno Shehu, Alhaji Abubakar Umar-Garbai, representatives of the Muslims, the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), the organized labor force, the NBA, the NUJ, CSOs and women’s groups all attended the meeting.
According to the published communique, the meeting supported the idea of reintegrating the terrorists into society.
She also called on the Northeast Development Commission to participate in all aspects of rehabilitation and reintegration of the abandoned Boko Haram into majority society.
Read the communique: