Cricket South Africa, Cricket Australia Tensions escalate over canceled take a look at tour
“If Cricket Australia had canceled the tour at the last minute, it might have been excusable. But there was a background of cynicism … it turned out that there may also have been a lot of hypocrisy, selfishness, and dishonesty to complete the recipe. “
The Daily Maverick quoted South African coach Mark Boucher as saying, “It appears that many goal posts have been moved for Australia for this particular tour.
“For example the one positive that came out of the bubble [for the Test series] against Sri Lanka [in Centurion and at the Wanderers in December and January] was the hotel we stayed at. We found it to be a great hotel for us South Africans. It suited our needs and the cultural way we are outdoors [people]. And we even handed that over to Australia.
“There is probably a feeling we have laid the red carpet for Australia, which is frustrating at times.”
However, CA acted quickly on Tuesday to respond to the allegations.
A spokesperson insisted that CA had done everything it could, already at great expense, to make sure the series continued and even to pay for flights, when this is usually done by the host country.
The spokesman said team manager Gavin Dovey had worked on the trip for months, stating that the “goalpost” reference was wrong, arguing that he only wanted specific details from CSA that CSA could not provide.
He said there was a “philosophical difference” in the way the two countries dealt with the coronavirus pandemic. As an example, he said CA had repeatedly asked how the cadre would travel from the airport to the country club under strict bio-safe protocols, only for CSA to reply “they would take care of it”.
The spokesman said CSA has admitted that there are no guarantees that the country club will be free from the virus, adding to fears that a player or member of the tour group might test positive, thus increasing concerns about what strict measures CA would have to meet in order to be able to return home.
CA said it has yet to find an airline to bring the party home in South Africa because of the high risk of infection, although the 7-day average of new infections there has dropped from more than 19,000 last month to just over 3,000.
CA also pointed out that his decision to join the Australian team was not without consequences as it almost certainly means that Tim Paine’s men will not be able to advance to the final of the first Test World Championship. The India-England series winner is expected to face New Zealand in the final.
Manthorp insisted on a scathing assessment that CA’s plan changes were “never ending.”
“The Australians preferred not to use a commercial airport like OR Tambo International. Let’s see you jump through that hoop. The lengthy communication with various ministries and departments of the government led to the clearance of a charter aircraft for landing in Lanseria, ”he said.
“Then CA informed their hosts that they would be arriving on a Qantas Dreamliner that is too big to land in Lanseria. CSA returned to the relevant ministries to obtain permission for the aircraft to use a private terminal in OR Tambo. It was granted.
“Then Cricket Australia ‘requested’ that a Track & Trace system developed in Australia be purchased and used during the tour. Even if they would “bubble” alone. The purchase was agreed. “
Cricket Australia also pointed out that while CSA said the Sri Lanka tour was uneventful, the Sri Lanka Cricket Board had a different story about how the two-test tour played out. That series had games split between Johannesburg and Centurion – the same venues the Australians would have played.
CA said CSA was unable to meet a January 22nd deadline and CA would then have to call a meeting a day later where the bio-safe details were again not finalized. CA had also offered to take in the South Africans, with Perth being an option, but they refused to postpone the campaign.
CSA has since written to the International Cricket Council asking for intervention and financial aid for struggling nations whose tours have been lost due to the pandemic. The ICC has confirmed that it has received the letter. According to ESPN Cricinfo, the letter, which is not a formal complaint, states that Australia’s decision was “against the spirit of sportsmanship”.
Amid claims that it is ready to do whatever it takes to run lucrative series against India and England through the pandemic, but not with the same intent for so-called second tier cricket nations, the Cricket Australia spokesman told The International Campaign by Age and Sydney Morning Herald next summer – spearheaded by an Ashes series – opens with the newly planned one-off test against Afghanistan.
CSA and CA haven’t discussed an alternate date for the series since CEO Nick Hockley confirmed the postponement, but Manthorp suggested the damage has already been done.
Jon Pierik is a cricket writer for The Age. He also reports on AFL and has won awards for his cricket and basketball writing.
Mostly seen in sports