Feb. 18 (UPI) – An attack on a boarding school in Nigeria, in which one person was killed and more than 40 kidnappings, has rekindled suspicions of Boko Haram and triggered a strong reprimand from United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.
The attack occurred on Wednesday at a school in Kagara, northern Nigeria.
According to authorities, one student was killed and a total of 42 staff and students kidnapped.
The state governor said more than 600 students were enrolled in the school.
No group has yet taken responsibility, but the attack is similar to the one carried out in the past by the terrorist group Boko Haram.
The group kidnapped nearly 300 school girls in 2014 in Chibok, Nigeria, many of whom are still missing. The parents of some of these missing girls said last month they fled the group.
More than 300 students were kidnapped in Kanakar in December and later rescued. This kidnapping was blamed on local bandits.
The Kagara kidnappers demanded a ransom that the government refused to pay. The attackers would only use the money to buy more weapons and do more damage.
On Thursday, Guterres’ office described the attacks on schools in Nigeria as “hideous and unacceptable”.
“The Secretary-General urges the Nigerian authorities not to make any effort to rescue the abductees and to hold those responsible for this crime accountable,” a spokesman said.