Kenya in the 3rd wave of COVID-19, says Minister of Health

Nairobi, Kenya

Kenya recorded the highest number of COVID-19 infections since last year on Wednesday, the country’s health minister said.

Kenya is officially in the third wave of the outbreak. 713 more people became infected with the virus in the past 24 hours. With a sample size of 5,230 people tested for the disease, Mutahi Kagwe found the new numbers are alarming.

“The sheer number itself tells you the whole story. The positivity rate, which we are announcing at around 14%, is also the highest since the last phase in November,” he said.

The Health Minister also announced that on Wednesday and Thursday there would be a discussion with the Board of Governors and other officials on whether to step up or downsize measures to combat the virus.

They will announce the new measures with Kenyan leader Uhuru Kenyatta on Friday and address the East African nation, he added.

The Ministry of Health also reported an increase in COVID-19 patients using ventilators in hospitals.

“We are about to enter another difficult phase, but we can also overcome this phase. It hit us hard last year and at this point we cannot give up our vigilance, ”Kagwe said.

Kenya lost 12 patients to COVID-19 on Wednesday, bringing the total to 1,898 deaths. 563 patients were admitted to hospitals and 1,588 were cared for at home, while the number of patients in intensive care units approached 90, compared with fewer than 20 in January.

The total number of cases in the country is currently 110,356. On the final day, 167 patients recovered from the disease, bringing the overall recovery to 87,903.

The Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news aggregated to AA News Broadcasting System (HAS) subscribers. Please contact us for subscription options.

Comments are closed.