Kidnapped Nkayi boy to be repatriated from Kenya

The Herald

Crime reporter

Zimbabwean and Kenyan authorities are working on paperwork for the repatriation of a seven-year-old boy from Nkayi who was abducted for human trafficking and brought to Kenya in 2016.

The boy, Awakhiwe Ackim Ncube, was kidnapped by Hompani while playing with other children in Nkayi’s area, and his parents only found out he was in Kenya through pictures posted on social media.

He was last seen in his grandparents’ garden.

Awakhiwe was found in the Happy Children’s Home in Nairobi.

National Police Deputy Commissioner Paul Nyathi said a full statement will be released today.

Mother Nobekezelo Maseko was recently quoted in the media as saying: “One of the neighbors in Nkayi brought a picture that his son sent in South Africa. They went with it to show the child’s grandfather, who undoubtedly saw that it was his grandson. “

She then contacted the orphanage, and a woman who runs it confirmed that her Awakhiwe lived at the home.

“I sent her a picture and Awakhiwe identified me. The mother holding her asked us what name we use when we call him, we told Kim which is short for Ackim. She then called him by that name and he answered, ”said Ms. Maseko.

Awakhiwe was abducted and drugged along with two other children by the kidnappers heading to Kenya. The other two children were not Zimbabweans.

When Awakhiwe reached the border with Kenya, he is said to have started crying and asked to be taken back to his mother. Alerted border officials became suspicious and arrested the kidnappers when Awakhiwe spoke in isiNdebele.

They thought the child was Zimbabwean or South African.

The alleged kidnappers, Margaret Juma Magero and David Ochieng Omentho, who are believed to be married, were discovered on Aug.

Ms. Mochache ordered that Awakhiwe and the two children be placed in the care of the Happy Children’s Home until their parents are found.

The other two children have since been identified, extradited to their home countries and reunited with their families.

However, the paperwork for the repatriation of Awakhiwe is still being processed by the Zimbabwean embassy in Kenya.

In June last year, police managed to locate a one-year-old boy from South Africa and bring him back into the country.

The suspect, identified as Happy Tanyanyiwa, has since gone into hiding in South Africa and police working with Interpol are still looking for her.

CID Homicide detectives traveled to Polokwane, South Africa with the boy’s mother, Yvonne Machingo, 21, and reunited the two investigations that followed.

Machingo, who also lives in ushew ounces, reached out to Tanyanyiwa aka Mai Tatenda sometime in December last year and said she wanted to be taken to a traditional healer who could look after her then six-month-old baby who was not feeling well.

Allegedly, on December 12, 2020, the two went to Block 11, Shawasha Flats in Mbare, where a traditional healer was able to help Machingo.

Machingo was ordered to stay outside while Tanyanyiwa went into the healer’s house with the child, but she never returned. After a few hours, Machingo tried to find her, but to no avail.

She even tried to call, but her phone was turned off and a police report was made.

The police were unable to locate Tanyanyiwa.

Comments are closed.