Drought situation & EW phase classification
Drought phase: alerting
• Biophysical indicators show negative trends towards the expected seasonal ranges.
• In April 2021, rainfall was below average.
• April Vegetation Condition Index values for Tana North-Bura and Tana River Sub-Counties are below normal and indicate moderate drought.
• The water level in most of the water pans was 3 (10% -55%) in pastoral and marginal livelihoods below normal.
Socio-economic indicators (impact indicators)
• The condition of the fodder is poor in relation to pastoral and marginal mixed, but fair mixed livelihoods in quality and quantity.
• The condition of the cattle is fair to good in mixed and marginally mixed and pastoral livelihoods and fair to bad in poor to pastoral fringe zones.
• Milk production is currently above average in all livelihoods. This is due to fair feeding and grazing conditions.
• Normal cattle migrations towards the traditional pasture fields have been reported.
• Trading conditions are currently above normal but are on the decline due to rising corn prices.
• Household water sources distances that are currently below average compared to normal.
• The number of children under five who are at risk of malnutrition is currently falling compared to normal.
• The copping strategy index for households is falling due to improved milk production.